For the Chocolate Cake:
2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (65g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup (240ml) whole milk
1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (240ml) boiling water
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 ounces (226g) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened
4 cups (480g) powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ounces (170g) semi-sweet chocolate (for melting and mixing into the frosting)
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two round cake pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add the eggs, whole milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
4. Carefully add the boiling water to the cake batter and stir until smooth. The batter will be thin, but that’s okay.
5. Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
7. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Then, remove the cakes from the pans and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
8. Put the chocolate in the ,microwave for about 1-2 minute
9. In a mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and softened butter until creamy and well combined.
10. Gradually add the melted chocolate, the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
11. Once the cakes are completely cool, spread a layer of cream cheese frosting on top of one of the cakes.
12. Place the second cake layer on top and frost the top and sides of the entire cake with the remaining frosting.
13. You can decorate the cake with additional chocolate shavings, sprinkles, or any other decorations of your choice.